"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 20:58:54 EDT
On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 19:51:07 EDT Raymond Ayers said:
>We are running LISTSERV 1.8c under VM/ESA Release 2. Up to now we have
>NOT been running SMS. We are running Beyond Software's Webshare
>freeware server (v 1.2.3) for web access to CMS.
>
>We have 600+ lists currently. As with every other site, our users can
>no longer live with out WEB access to the archives. The only free
>product I know of is WLV from Marist (A. Harry WIlliams) and naturally
>the same folks who must have access don't want to pay for anything.
Well, they really can't have it both ways.  Also, I don't think
there is even a cost alternative on VM.  If there was, I wouldn't
have written WLV.

>My problem comes only from the technical side. Installing/running SMS
>seems to be fairly routine (for IBM stuff), but I see nothing in the
>LISTSERV installation or site mgrs manuals on how to configure
>LISTSERV and the list headers, etc to run with SMS. I also found
>virtually nothing in a search of the list archives.
We haven't done SMS on VM yet, but from my understanding, it shouldn't
change anything.  SMS is only going to effect those logs and other
items in SFS, and in fact given the nature of Listserv, and the
references to data, unless you have a very quick migration period,
I expect very little would move to ML1, much less ML2.
I would fully expect that even with a robot, if something is on
ML2, the web user will timeout before WLV can serve it.  Also,
any database searchs(either LSV or WLV), will recall anything from
ML1, unless the date limit is put on the search. (Almost none
of the LSV searches I see do so unless it times out)

>If anyone out there has gone thru this process (either SMS or LISTSERV)
>and can offer guidance (maybe even a check list (I know I'm lazy))
>I would be most appreciative. Any warnings or other advice is also
>solicited.
>
>Since most of the folks on this list seem to be of the UNIX persuasion,
>contact me directly if you prefer.

> | Raymond Ayers                           VM & MVS Systems Programmer |
/ahw