"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Jul 1994 14:53:09 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Raymond Ayers
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>One of my users sent me a copy of a message sent out from one of the
>lists my LISTSERV is running. Could some one point me at the error
>(if it is one) or the option which causes mail to leave my site and     13;
,
>Fri
>go to UGA to be distributed to LAN users who are local to my site.

>FACTS:

One "fact" was omitted: LISTSERV, as well as MAILER (LMAIL), has no
"clue" as to the appropriateness of choosing a "closer" path to the
host, even though it is in a subdomain of scarolina.edu.

As a matter of fact, the only clue is quite the opposite: doing a TELL
MAILER AT UNIVSCVM SH R bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu returns:

 From UNIVSCVM(MAILER): * BIGBIRD.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU is routed as follows:
 From UNIVSCVM(MAILER): * <.EDU> UNIVSCVM SMTP BSMTP

Further, there is no .scarolina.edu entry in the standard DOMAIN NAMES
file, thus I suspect that LISTSERV (and MAILER) is doing what it is
supposed to do: use the LISTSERV Distribute algorithm (the network of
listserv backbone sites to spread the distribution load of a list
mailing).

A debug LISTSERV BSMTP distribute to two users reveals this log: