Greg Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Mar 1992 08:51:15 EST
It has come to my attention that some of our lists here will send a listing
of archived notebooks in response to the "index <listname>" (yes I know
the index command is for FILELISTs, but these lists do not maintain them,
I'm only interested in the notebooks), and some will not.  After poking
around a little I discovered that the lists that do send the listing have
a FILEID file associated with them.  Those that are keeping notebooks
but refuse to send a listing (the response is something like "<listname>
FILELIST is not yet available"), do not have a FILEID file.  I looked
over Eric's file server doc and found that the lists that are keeping
archived notebooks are supposed to have an entry in LISTSERV's
NOTEBOOK FILELIST file.  Our NOTEBOOK FILELIST file is empty.  Am
I supposed to create an entry in this file when a new list is established
that keeps notebooks?  Or, is this automatic (appaently not) and I have
missed a step somewhere?  I would like to correct this situation.
If I am supposed to be making an entry in the NOTEBOOK FILELIST, and if
I do for the lists that only keep notebooks (no other files, so they don't
need their own FILELIST), can I then erase the FILEID file for those lists
that give a listing in response to the "index <listname> command?

--Greg Kroll