Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 00:42:40 +0100
On Sun,  22 Nov  1992 18:22:49 EST  "A. Ralph  Papakhian" <PAPAKHI@IUBVM>
said:

>For what  it's worth,  I would agree  as well. I  also observe  that the
>Coalition for  Networked Information (CNI)  has now also  advertized its
>own "listserv" which  is (mostly) of the non-Eric Thomas  kind. So now a
>large number of individuals in that coaltion are equally confused by the
>meaning of "listserv."

I realize  I will  probably sound cynical,  but these  "ethical" problems
Michael and you have mentioned often look surprisingly like "under cover"
political stances.  Let's take the case  of RARE - a  european network of
which most  european countries  are a member.  While most  North American
users have  never heard  of RARE,  this is by  no means  because it  is a
small, or poor, network.  One reason RARE is not very  well known is that
it is OSI oriented,  and another is that it doesn't  really produce or do
much. RARE runs a  lot of projects and working groups,  some of which are
useful, some of which are not, it has issued the call for tenders for the
IXI  network, which  is almost  unanimously  considered as  a major  step
towards the  NON use of OSI  protocols by disenchanted users,  and that's
about it.

RARE  runs the  Tasos  server  for their  working  group  lists and  main
secretariat,  with limited  success.  Unfortunately, most  of the  people
involved  in these  groups have  heard enough  about me  to know  I wrote
LISTSERV, and  I had the  pleasure of  being informed that  "my" software
was,  to put  it nicely,  a piece  of cowdung  - not  that they  expected
anything else from something originally written for IBM machines.

Both as a user of their working-group  lists and as author of LISTSERV, I
would like  them to  either switch  to Mailbase or  let someone  else run
their lists on LISTSERV.  The other users of the lists  often ask for the
same. Some of  the working group chairs have announced  that they want to
move their lists to Mailbase on another host due to all the problems they
had with 'listserv'. The vice-president of  RARE asked to be removed from
all RARE mailing lists  until the problems are solved. Here  is a copy of
his letter: