Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:52:11 -0400
>Here's a question that I'm sure has been asked a thousand times.
>Leave it to the newbie to ask again: is there a way to add the
>subscriber email address to the bottom (or top) of messages
>sent to the list?
>
>Is this what 'BANNER' is all about? If so, just point me in the
>right direction.
>
>Thanks,
>Adam

The situation is this:  In your classic LISTSERV mailing list setup,
you send a message to the mailing list and then the mailing list
sends the message to all the subscribers using a "single
message-multiple recipients" model.  In other words LISTSERV batches
up a thousand (or whatever; the exact number is controlled by the
MAXBSMTP site configuration setting) email addresses at a time and
hands off the message to its SMTP server.  The SMTP commands that
LISTSERV is sending would look something like:

| MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
| RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
| RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
[. . .]
| RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
| DATA
| Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:33:53 -0700
| Sender:       Description <[log in to unmask]>
| From:         Frank Q. Public <[log in to unmask]>
| Subject:      Sample Subject
| To:           [log in to unmask]
|
| Body of the message follows.
| .
| QUIT

The practical upshoot of this is that the same message is sent to
user1 through user1000 above.  This in turn means that it's
impossible to send customized messages to each subscriber using this
model, and in particular that you can't include the recipient's email
address in the body of the message.

It _is_ possible to send customized messages to subscribers of a
mailing list using LISTSERV in LISTSERV 1.8d using the Mail Merge
features.  This requires that you be using our LSMTP 1.1b product to
handle LISTSERV's outgoing mail.  Also, you'd need to put together
and submit a special "mail merge job", so this can't be used for
normal mailing list discussion-type messages.  The Developer's Guide
has more information about LISTSERV's Mail Merge features,
particularly section 4.6 (which includes a bunch of sample jobs).

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support