"James R. Gerland (Postmaster)" <GERLAND@UBVM>
Mon, 13 Jun 88 07:53:48 EDT
>Somebody who knows, tell me:
>All these Vax clusters that cause so many problems--is there a right way
>to set them up?  Is there a configuration and software that will prevent
>these problems?  I've forwarded a couple of stupid delivery error notes
>to postmasters (never gotten a reply, though) and flamed at people to
>get smarter software.  Question is, does this smarter software exist?
>
>stm

Let me try and address this problem (I run The VAXcluster in question - UBVMS)

Because the Jnet SEND command (TELL on CMS) reaches LISTSERV from userid@node,
I VERY STRONGLY urge all cluster sites to set-up Jnet so that Mail from a user
goes out from userid@cluster and that every cluster site TRAIN their users to
correspond with LISTSERV via mail.  This allows your users to login to any of
the cluster machines they want to.

When you (a list owner) receive a message back from a PMDF mailer (usually
POSTMASTER@cluster) that a userid does not exist, it tells you what node
they don't exist on.  My advice to list owners (and I own many here) is to
QUIET DEL userid@node according to what the error mail tells you.

As for your not having received a reply from some postmaster, I suggest you
take it up with that person, not the list.

Further PMDF discussion should take place on IPMDF@YMIR (send mail to NED@YMIR