Chad Adams <XCEA@ECNCDC>
Fri, 30 Jun 89 15:07:00 CDT
>> I've been receiving quite a few of these lately:
>>
>>  Error  occured  while processing  file  (5944)  from TARIM@TRBOUN:  "Sorry,
>>  validity check failed. Try an IBM NOTE command. The problem might be due to
>>  inaccurate  MAILER tables  at  your  node". File  has  been transferred  to
>>
>> I am assuming  that the 'MAILER tables' it  refers to is ours.  All of these
>> originated from sites running CDC, [log in to unmask]  I have looked at our
>> MAILER table and the entries for them do exist:
>>
>>  Outgoing -
>>       TRBOUN     TRBOUN    ?  DEFRT  1
>>       CALSTATE   CALSTATE  ?  DEFRT  1
>>       GRATHUN1   GRATHUN1  ?  DEFRT  1
>
>This is an a problem that CALSTATE has been dealing with for some time.  As
>a CDC CYBER shop, my knowledge of IBM NJE protocols is limited, but here is
>my understanding of the problem:
>
>There are, apparently, three or four places within the NJE header that indicate
>the source user name: among these are origin remote name (ORN) and owner user
>name (OUN).  It is the nature of the CDC NJE implementation to set the ORN
>to the user who sent the mail; however, the OUN is set to the user name of
>the user under which the mailer job is running: SYSTEMX.  SYSTEMX is akin to
>root on a Unix system.  The UMASS mailer software running on CYBERs executes
>from SYSTEMX, hence there is one field that does not match the others.

CDC nodes running UMASS mailer should look like the mail is from SYSTEMX.
As far as I know they set the other user name that is not SYSTEMX with
a parameter on NJROUTE (the command that sends to mail/file) that
anyone can set.  To us everything that comes from a site running UMASS
mailer looks like it came from SYSTEMX.  MAILER NAMES should be used
to tell this is a ok mailer for CDC nodes.  To us most mail from IBM
sites looks like it comes from MAILER.  We call NJROUTE from the
users account that is sending the mail so we both get the interactive
FILE SENT messages and have our node name in the NJE header.

[techinal stuff for CDC sites]  As far as the UMASS mailer goes I think
they should modify NJROUTE so it places the user name in all of the
places when called from a system origin job by UMASS mailer.  If it uses
the DSP OUN then you can set this from a SSJ= program in the extended
DSP block.  There is no reason to put SYSTEMX in the NJE header, just
reasons not to.

I will be out of the office until July 11.

Chad Adams
     ______      ECN - Educational Computing Network
     \   **`
     /    *º     Computing and Network Services for Board of Governors
    / *    º     of State Colleges and Universities of the State of Illinois
    º      º     Networking in Illinois since 1975.  [The first in the state]
     \     º       /  ) /         /     Chad Adams, Systems Programmer
      \*   º      /    /_  __, __/      BITNET:     XCEA@ECNCDC
      /    /     (__/ / /_/_/_(_/_      Phone:      1-618-692-3532
      \   /
       `--       "Wherever you go, there we are."