Philip Kizer <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 23:39:18 -0600
Chris Routhier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I am running Listserv 1.8d on Solaris 2.6 with Apache 1.3.3.  It seems
>that the wa cgi takes forever to start up when you try to login.
>Sometimes it's fine but most of the time the response time is
>attrocious.  Has anyone else had this problem. It's doesn't seem to be a
>resource issue, the load on the machine is nominal and there is plenty
>of space and memory.  Any assistance is appreciated.

I always see this behaviour when the listserv process queue gets really
long (see the number of *.job files in the directory referenced by LSVSPOOL
in go.sys).

It seems that listserv processes these serially, and a cgi/wa login is
another command added to the queue that has to wait its turn to be
processed.  (Any conformation from LSOFT.COM?)

Getting outgoing mail processed faster or anything else that you can do to
keep the LSVSPOOL clear should help the web interface go faster as well.

Even with "plenty" load/space/memory, your I/O channels might be slow, or
your SMTP agent may be doing DNS lookups and other verification for each
address Listserv hands it for delivery causing it to backlog and not show a
significant increase in CPU/memory.

-philip

--
Philip Kizer <[log in to unmask]>
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix