Jeffrey R Kell <JEFF@UTCVM>
Fri, 12 Jun 87 16:35:58 EDT
>I know that AI-LIST and TEXHAX are on FINHUTC, but that is not serving
>Bitnet. Are there more of these that are LISTSERVed in EARN but not here
>in Bitnet? Also, if FINHUTC is being fed from an EARN ARPA gateway, then
>why not make it mail via distribute and let it serve everyone?
Bingo... I don't think there is an advantage to peers anymore now that
you can Mail-via= Distribute and there is a reasonably stable backbone.
The only thing a peered list buys you is having a possibly closer place
to send postings, and being able to partially deliver postings when a
peer is down/unavailable.  Mail-via= Distribute can take advantage of
all available backbone servers to redistribute to the list, while peers
are limited only to the participating peers (not to mention peer linking
problems, housekeeping aggravations, and the like).

/Jeff/