Linda Feeney <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Oct 1993 09:47:03 EST
        A few weeks ago, I posted the following:

>       At our site we are only connected to the Internet.  However, many
> student users subscribe to lists on BITNET.  This causes a problem at the
> end of each term.  A lot of bounced mail is generated.
>
>       We have attempted a global unsubscribe without success.  We
> contacted the nearest listserv site and were told that there is no way for
> a non-BITNET node administrator to automatically delete listserv
> subscriptions. They suggested logging into each account and unsubscribing
> from there or contacting the Postmasters at nodes where students have
> subscribed.
>
>       There has to be an easier way. Suggestions?
>
>                                                       -- Linda Feeney

        I did find a way to automate a 'login' to each account and send the
SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE command for users of VMS Mail.

        VMS allows an account with CMKRNL privilege to SUMBIT a batch job
on behalf of another user with the /USER command qualifier.  The batch job
mails a file containing the signoff command and the listserver handles it
from there.

        Anyone wanting more details can e-mail me directly.