Walter Logeman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:05:59 GMT
Hi,

I have Just explored Forum One,

http://www.forumone.com/

which offers a good insight into the world of Web conferencing.
I have used Motet at Cafe Utne, quite nice.  *Nothing* beats an
email mailing list such as this -- this is *push* technology --
it comes to us, and it is fast, not like the web, and can be
worked offline, filed and sorted locally.

However there are advantages to web conferencing.  Several lists
can coexist on a site, with associated text and graphics and
links, and thus create a sense of community. (See Utne.)  Forum
One also indexes all of the discussions current on the web in
enrolled web sites -- quite a development, which listserv lists
can not be party to at present.

The l-soft archives on the web go part of the way.  For example:

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/psyber-l.html

I would love to see that incorporate a window which allowed one
to:
[ Write New Message | Reply to message ] etc.  My wish is that
the message would then be distributed by email as usual, and go
to the web archive as usual.  I would envisage the password
system applying, and it only accepting people who could normally
write to the list.  Does this exist already?  Have others done
it?

This is all part of my thinking that the Mailing List is the most
effective technology, for the most complex discussions, and
collaboration.   Site appeal of the web, also has value.  How can
we have the best of both?

Walter

Walter Logeman                 [log in to unmask]
http://www2.chch.planet.org.nz/~walter/psybernet.html
ICQ UID: 196356