Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 12:45:28 CST
On Fri, 24 Feb 1995 15:26:08 -0400 Mario Rups said:
>I dunno.  From my point of view, academic lists (with high signal to noise
>ratio, preferably) contribute to knowledge and research and are quite
>legitimately considered a proper and legitimate use of university
>computers.  It's the purely for fun lists (fan club lists, say) that I,
>were I a university administrator, would question.

Thank you Mario, I was hoping someone would bring this up.  WHO gets
to decide which lists are worthy of hosting and which aren't?  To
say that "xyzzy" list is because it talks about comptuers and that
"yzzyx" list is not because it talks about movies is egotisticaly at
best.  At worst, it's theft (if it's not open to everyone, then it's
private - therefore my list about TCPIP is stealing time on the
university's computer).

The rule we use here is if the owner has a tamu.edu in it's address,
it goes up.  If it doesn't, we talk about it (ie. it still might go
up).

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)

"If the mind can conceive it, the body can achieve it."
      Napoleon Hill  (in his book _Think & Grow Rich_)