Lyne Thibault <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:41:49 EST
Hello everyone,
 We are about to convert from LISTSERV vesrsion 1.7F on VM to LISTSERV 1.8b
on either VM or UNIX.

 Some facts :
 Here at McGill, we currently running over 300 lists totalling over 28K
 subscribers.

 The new LISTSERV should answer our needs for the next 3 years.
ie. 50 lists/year with 500 new subscribers/year and the most important
    will let you add some very huge lists (like all students over 30K
    subscribers) and staff members ( over 10K) The huge lists will be
    a new service the Computing Centre would like to promote to the
    University. This may become quite popular and then quite busy

 If you have similar SETUP, could you share with me the following information?

If we stick to VM  will we stress out VM SMTP so much with LISTSERV traffic
that it will cause overall performance problems on VM ?

If we go to UNIX then our preference ( experienced system programmers) is
with Solarix or Sun OS.  What size of system should we be looking at ?
Should it be dedicated to LISTSERV service ? Should we have LSMTP or not ?
How about reliability of LSMTP ? What happens in case of failure (server,
connection, etc) Alternative options in that case ?

Any conversion GOTCHAS we should know ?

Thanks

Lyne Thibault