Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:03:29 -0500
Mike:

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Mike Sutphin wrote:

> I need some help please. I have an informal e-mail network established with
> about 50 folks who are doing genealogy research. We would like to set up a
> listserver... but haven't a clue as to how to go about it. Traffic volume and
> disk space requriements would be fairly small. We don't anticipate subscribers
> ever exceeding around 75 folks.
>
> Could someone please help me? Does anyone know of a server somewhere that
> might be willing to set up a listserv for us? Any help would be appreciated.

Unless you are hell-bent on re-inventing the wheel, have you considered
using the ROOTS-L list for your dialog?:

*  ROOTS-L @ eWorld
*     ROOTS-L is a mail Discussion List for Genealogical Matters.
*  Topics include techniques, requests for help, software, etc.
*  Weekly notebooks will be kept.  For a list send [log in to unmask]
*  the command INDEX ROOTS-L
*  To UNsubscribe send the command SIGNOFF ROOTS-L to [log in to unmask]
*  For more information on LISTSERV, send [log in to unmask] the
*  command INFO
*
*  Contact [log in to unmask] if you need assistance.

This list has about 5500 more than 75 subscribers at the moment, so the
dialog may be a little too fast-paced for your group, but it may be worth
looking into before you go to the trouble of setting up another list.

If you do not want to host the LISTSERV on your own machine, L-Soft is
apparently offering a list management and hosting service with a fee schedule
based on a number of relevant issues.  You can reach them at
http://www.lsoft.com

Good luck

Mark Hunnibell                  Email: [log in to unmask]
KIDLINK Gopher/WWW Coordinator  http://www.connix.com/~markh/index.html