Nick Abiola-Bisiolu <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:37:56 -0400
Just an F.Y.I.

At 3:41 PM -0400 7/7/04, Nick Abiola-Bisiolu wrote:
>I was looking at the information through the subscriber's corner link which
>provide me with all the list I am subscribe on. But when I click on any of
>the lists shown, the name field display does not correspond with the new
>name I just registered.
>It display the old information.
>I was testing this because I received some complaint from users that
>registered their name but their email address came up as
>[log in to unmask] (No Name Available)instead of

OK, I see.

If one is provided, LISTSERV records a name when someone subscribes
or is added to a mailing list.  Each list can have a different name
recorded.

There's also a 'global' name that LISTSERV uses for most purposes,
such as when sending responses to commands, and which is updated
whenever a user subscribes to a mailing list or issues a 'REGISTER'
command.

The 'REGISTER' command only affects the latter name registration.
There is no global command to change the name associated with an
email address for all mailing lists.

That name is mainly there so that if you are trying to find a
particular subscriber you can do so by name as well as by address, so
if it doesn't contain useful information it shouldn't really have
much of an affect on anything.

I can make a feature request that the 'global' name be the one
reflected on the subscriber's corner pages if desired, or if you have
another feature request you would like me to pass along to
development.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support, L-Soft international, Inc
  LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.

Read news, tips, and other information in our 'LISTSERV at Work'
archives at <http://www.lsoft.com/news/default.asp?item=newsletter-us>