Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:49:07 +1100
>>I've just seen a bunch of errors come through our busiest list that were
the
>>form of rejected postings.  The reason given for rejection was exceeding
the
>>maximum message size of 300 lines (which I've explixitly set in the
header).
>>I'm happy to see that LISTSERV is capturing large posts but the problem
here
>>is that it captured its own digests.  All the errors were generated by
>>plaintext digests.

>Don't be so sure that it is capturing its own.  Instead, I willing to bet
>you that some errant subscriber's email system aka MTA "bounced" it back
>to the list, and LISTSERV thought that it was a new
>posting.  Unfortunately the subscriber's MTA made it appear as if it the
>MTA was the LISTSERV.

I'd agree with you if it was only one subscriber or domain but I checked and
it's happening to everyone who's set to DIGEST NOMIME.  All MIME digests are
sent without problem.  Here's a sample error message:

<sample start>

Your message cannot be distributed to the TRIM-TUF-L list because it exceeds
the maximum message size  of 300 lines. This limit has been  set by the list
owner  and  does  not  necessarily  apply  to  the  other  lists  hosted  at
LISTSERV.TOWERSOFT.COM.AU. If you have any question, please contact the list
owner, who can be reached at [log in to unmask]

------------------------ Rejected message (777 lines)