Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:30:41 +0200
> I wasn't referring to a malicious attack on a list/s but rather the improper
> management of those who don't know.

I do understand that. My point is just that it takes some serious effort to
figure out how to GET/PUT a list header and then find a list header
configuration that really causes trouble. People who don't know anything
about computers will probably never succeed. I would be more worried about
people who read about SET * NOMAIL on a forum and forget to do QUIET.

If you are worried about people making changes through the web interface,
you can easily customise it to remove this button. You can then have a private
version of the page for people who really should be able to modify the list
header.

> And if 50% would say this is a very important feature they would like to see
> implemented, won't you consider this as a valuable piece of information
> for you, regardless of what you decide to do with it ?

What you have is a simple yes/no vote, not a "very important feature" vs
"somewhat important feature" vs "potentially useful feature" vs "don't care"
vs "please oh please don't do it, it is really a bad idea!" vote.

> It could indeed be a good idea if you posted a list of requests and planned
> additions/changes/enhancements and asked
> people to assign it their priorities. Coupled with your view of costs involved,
> effort associated etc, the outcome could benefit everyone involved.

Yes but it only makes sense for big developments, or things that are a bit
controversial. In general we do know what customers want because they
are not shy about telling us :-) Of course, this is not 100% accurate, but
I can say safely that people do want to be able to filter attachments, which
is why we implemented it.

  Eric