Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 May 1994 23:58:15 +0200
L-Soft announcements are usually posted to about 4-5 mailing lists, which
are likely to  have a large cross-section. For  instance, an announcement
related  to  our  support  structure  would  have  to  include  LSTSRV-L,
LSTSRV-M, LSTOWN-L, LMAIL-L  and LMAIL-M, plus a couple  other lists like
EARN-NOG. To  avoid flooding people's  mailboxes with multiple  copies of
the same message, we use a  special procedure which merges the recipients
of  all  the  lists we  want  to  send  the  message to,  and  eliminates
duplicates.  We also  post all  our announcements  to the  LSOFT-ANNOUNCE
list,  for   the  benefit  of   people  who  are  interested   in  L-Soft
announcements but do not  have time to read the other  lists. This is the
only list to  which announcements are actually posted, so  that they show
up in the archives and can be accessed via the database functions.

Unfortunately, this means that many  people who read LSTSRV-L or VMSLSV-L
via  usenet and  are not  actually  on the  list  have missed  the May  4
announcements. In the  future, we will modify  our announcement procedure
to  also  inject the  messages  on  usenet. With  the  kind  help of  Jim
McIntosh, we have  also established a gateway  between the LSOFT-ANNOUNCE
list   and   bit.listserv.lsoft-announce,   and  reposted   the   May   4
announcements to this newsgroup. I am  enclosing a copy of the summary of
these  announcements for  your  convenience, with  my  apologies for  not
getting it right the first time.

  Eric

L-Soft International, Inc. is pleased to announce:

* LISTSERV  for VMS(TM),  general  availability  June-July 94,  beta-test
  version available immediately.

* LISTSERV for unix(R), first  versions expected June-July 94, prototypes
  already running on  SunOS, AIX(R) and HP-UX. A  free evaluation version
  will be made available shortly.

* Gradated license  and service charges  for the workstation  versions of
  LISTSERV, based on  intended usage. Gradated charges  will be available
  3Q94,  for  technical reasons.  Licenses  for  unlimited use  will,  of
  course, remain available.

* A comprehensive solution  to the BITNET core  saturation problem, based
  on  the new  L-Soft products  and on  unrelated LISTSERV  and LMail(TM)
  changes researched and modeled during the last two quarters.

The  VMS(TM)  and   unix(R)  versions  of  LISTSERV   correspond  to  the
"Patchwork" stage  initially scheduled  for 4Q94 and  1Q95, respectively.
These  new  products   are  described  in  further   detail  in  separate
announcements.

More  information about  the gradated  charges  will be  posted once  the
charging schedule  is finalized. Roughly speaking,  gradated charges will
allow customers  to decide in advance  how much capacity they  want to be
able to handle on a particular  workstation, and to pay according to that
capacity threshold, rather than according to the speed of their machine.

For   more    information   about   today's   announcement,    write   to
[log in to unmask] We  suggest that  public discussions  take place  on the
LSTSRV-L list.

LMAIL and L-SOFT are trademarks of L-Soft international.

Unix is a registered trademark of UNIX Systems Laboratories, Inc.

AIX is a registered trademark of International Business Machines
Corporation.

VMS is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.

HP is a registered trademark of Hewlett-Packard Company.

Sun is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

All other trademarks, both marked and not marked, are the property of
their respective owners.