Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:05:43 -0600
Dave wrote:

> Our subscribers get very upset when somebody turns on their "vacation"
> program and every message to the list results in an "out of office"
> message being sent to the entire list.
>
> I was always under the impression that it was a misbehaving "vacation"
> program that was the cause of this. But several subscribers state that
> "most other list I subscribe to has
> technology in place that will catch out-of-office messages."
>
> Is there something I can do with the list configuration to stop the
> distribution of these messages? The list is a discussion group, so it is
> set up in such a way that replies go to the list.
>
> If not, is there at least some specifics I can give my subscribers about
> why it is their fault that this is happening?

I still a pop mailbox and a shell script in front of various LISTSERV
addresses on our servers to weed out misdirected bounces and out of
office messages.

The short answer is, I doubt you'll be able to configure LISTSERV to eat
those for you; the vacation messaging process is at odds with the
standard, not LISTSERV, and LSoft in the past has made it clear that
they won't wander from the standards.

Al
--
Al Iverson -- [log in to unmask] -- Minneapolis, Minnesota
My spam-related website: http://www.spamresource.com/