Thomas Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:00:25 -0600
cc:Mail (70 lines)
As a new list owner, I have some start up questions. I don't know if I
should submit this to LSTOWN-L or LSTSRV-L, so please understand that I
have sent it to both.  Opinions on which is more appropriate will be heeded
next time.

My first concern is how the system handles "auto-reply messages" (as our
corporate cc:Mail system calls them.). If the subscriber receives messages
while away and while the e-mail system has the auto-reply function on, a
message will be sent back to the list automatically.  Clearly, subscribers
don't want autoreply messages broadcast to them.

I did a test with my auto-reply mode on for my cc:Mail package and SET
REPro for our discussion list BUSINT-L.  This caused a sample message that
I sent to be posted back to me.  The auto-reply message was generated and,
fortunately, not sent to the whole list.  Somehow the message got rerouted
and, as list owner, I got the following message:

     The enclosed mail file has been identified as a delivery error for
     list BUSINT-L because it was sent to the reserved 'owner-busint-l'
     mailbox.

The rest of the message is appended at the end of this note if it helps
anyone.

My questions, to which I haven't found answers in the manual although they
might be there, are:

     How did the system know to do this?

     What is the reserved 'owner-busint-l' mailbox and does it serve other
     purposes?

     As list owner, can I shut off these messages to me because I don't
     want to see all the auto-reply messages either?

Any help is much appreciated.

Tom

The return message in full: