Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:55:51 -0500
At 05:11 12/05/2000 Tuesday, Russell, D (Duncan) wrote:

 >We have  subsequently renamed the list owners-talk and it works fine, but
 >the strange behaviour was slightly worrying, since we did not know there was
 >a problem at first.

There are several "gotchas" in dealing with email and LISTSERV.  You
can't have a list called POSTMASTER nor probably POSTMAST or MAINT.  You
can't have certain SUBJECT: lines that look like error reports.  You
can't send mail to too many lists all at once.  And you (probably) can't
have lists with names that start with OWNER- or end with -REQUEST.  These
are reserved for list-administration processing.  The first "maps" to the
list defintion keyword ERRORS=, and the second maps to all of the
non-QUIET OWNERS= addresses.

Sending mail to listname-OWNER is in effect sending to the "bounce"
address.  I wonder why no admin of that list responded?  That also is a
problem that should be addressed IMHO.

/Pete Weiss @ Penn State