Leonard D Woren <LDW@USCMVSA>
Thu, 28 Jan 88 16:43:00 PST
> The other element involved is identifying the list so that the mail can be
> filed properly.  The NEWSGROUP: solution can be a way to solve this as well.

I agree with this part; I forgot to include something about this in my

> Mail programs already use SENDER: just because NEWSGROUP: is apparently
> (someone check into this, please) NOT an official standard and its format
> is not formalized.

That's not a usable excuse for misusing SENDER:.  If someone has a
problem with NewsGroup:, how about List-Name:?  I'm sure we can come
up with some reasonable field name.  More difficult is getting people
to have their software use it.

> > NONCONFORMING mailers that do not conform to the requirement to send
> > rejection messages to the Sender if present should be cut off.  It
>
> If that's the field we agree on.  I can't find in the RFC where it says
> to use this one that way.  Can someone cite and RFC/page?

Read section 4.4.2 .  I'll save the network load and not quote the
*whole* thing here.  But it's perfectly clear to me that what LISTSERV
puts in the SENDER: field is simply not legal according to the first
sentence of 4.4.2 :

         This field contains the authenticated identity  of  the  AGENT
         (person,  system  or  process)  that sends the message.

The listname *IS NOT* the "AGENT that sends the message."

Part of the second paragraph of 4.2.2 that elaborates on my point:

         ... and not simply include the name of a mailbox
         from which the mail was sent.

> I don't have space for that table, I only have a few thousand spare
> cylinders.

I hope everyone realizes that my suggestion wasn't 100% serious...

> They don't implement hardly any of the nice features, either.

Ok, so let's figure out how to implement the nice features *without*
causing other problems.

> It seems in the final analysis that the problem might stem from the
> fact that BITNET is a network that essentially does NOT use SMTP and
> certainly is not using TCP/IP.  To make LISTSERV work like lists on
> Arpanet would require implementing SMTP everywhere.

That's the most reasonable answer -- SMTP everywhere.

/Leonard