Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:48:33 -0500
At 12:51 11/25/2003 Tuesday, John Lyon wrote:
 >> I've got a question about the RENEW/NORENEW setting for individual
 >> users.  My problem is that someone on a list keeps getting kicked off,
 >> apparently because of a flaky mail server (though I'd be curious if anyone
 >> could suggest other possibilities, too) and I want to prevent that for this
 >> user.

 >They will not be sent passive Probes, therefore will be exempt from probe
 >failures/deletions. They could still be removed if they fail the Delay and
 >Max settings in Auto-Delete for permanent bounces.

Better to solve the problem of flaky email service than waste your time
trying to "break" the auto-delete processing which is doing its job.

Typical reasons for "flaky"

1) multiple MX hosts, one of which is not configured correctly or should
not be there in the first place

2) out of synch DNS "MX" and "A" records across the multiple
authoritative name servers

3) false-positive anti-spam

4) user  mail box problem

5) system MTA problems

6) esoteric routing table and/or router code problems

Suggest that the user switch to DIGEST (assuming you have a (daily)
digest defined) -- that way it will be clearer when they don't get all of
their list distributions.

/Pete