"Herbert A. Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 May 1991 16:44:49 EDT
>On Mon, 20 May 91 15:32:16 -0500 [log in to unmask] said:
>>  I couldn't find a mailing list where the question I have really fits
>>  in.  And since it's tangentially related to Listserv, I'm posting it
>>  here.  For the last week or so, all mail to Australian mailling list
>>  subscribers has been bouncing with the error:
>>
>>  CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
>>  550 Host 'CCADFA.CC.ADFA.OZ.AU' Unknown
>>
>>  despite the fact that the hosts (I have several) can all be verified
>>  locally using "nslookup".  The postmaster at Cunyvm.Cuny.EDU confirmed
>>  there was a problem getting to Australian nodes, but that's it.  Since
>>  I'm assuming that the rest of you are having similar problems, I wanted
>>  to ask two questions.  One, any ideas on how to get this fixed?  I have
>>  no idea who to contact.  Second, what have you done with your Australian
>>  subscribers?  I "SET ... NOMAIL" for all mine and hopefully will be able
>>  to re-enable their mail service soon.  Any information or suggestions
>>  would be appreciated.
>>
>>  -jj
>
>I think the postmaster at CUNYVM.cuny.edu was giving an answer from the
>CUNY view of the world. Yes, it is likely that CUNY could not reach
>Australia... but I just telnetted to the host you describe and I am
>getting reasonably good ping times to boot (about 0.6 seconds).
>
>One way to get this fixed is to not send ausie mail to cuny.
>
>/mrg

I forwarded a copy of the original posting to Robert Elz, the gatemaster
for the OZ.AU subdomain.  Apparently he reports to work rather early, as
a few minutes ago I received a reply saying that he'd be looking into the
problem from his end.

As a sidebar, the best forum for discussing problems like this is Info-Nets.
It's just the sort of problem that the networking gurus there love to in-
vestigate.  Postings go to [log in to unmask], and there's a BITNET re-
distribution to the INFONETS list.  It has reported (but I can't verify)
that there is bi-directional exchange with a bit.listserv.infonets news
group.

-- Herb Huston, Postmaster and Systems Programmer
-- NASA Center for Computational Sciences
-- Goddard Space Flight Center
-- BITNET:     XRHAH@SCFVM
-- Internet:   [log in to unmask]
-- NSI-DECnet: SDCDCL::HUSTON
-- IBMMAIL:    USSCFYTE
-- Ameche:     +1 301 286 7803
-- Snail:      Code 931, NASA/GSFC, Greenbelt, MD  20771, USA