Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Sep 1993 08:41:48 PDT
On Mon, 13 Sep 1993 17:11:00 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>statements with  ABBREV calls for  each subscriber). The problem  is that
>the REXX code  generally has to use o(n2) algorithms  because there is no
>pointer, no way to explore a stem after setting it, and so on.

Gee, I have found that associative memory leads me to lots of O(n*ln(n))
algorithms because of content addressibility.  Now I use Personal REXX for
both DOS and OS/2, so I have some extensions.  But I would sure create those
for CMS if I were still writing there anymore.  Thanks for a clear and apt
discussion.  I fear you are right.  I think we will not see REXX in the
ascendency until past 2000.  It will then win out over BASIC as a macro
language on usability grounds.  There is one small ray of hope.  If the
macro authors are smart enough to prefer REXX and if the application
implementers will support REXX instead of BASIC, MAYBE there is hope for
REXX.  Recall, as you did earlier, that the average bear (on a PC) writes
nothing in any language.    Peace.    Dave

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't ask much in their fantasy lives.
GOMBERG@UCSFVM  Internet node UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU             fax-> (415)731-7797