Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:17:58 -0500
> I want to make sure that nothing is published to Catalist. There's a
> CONFIDENTIAL=YES setting for each list. Is there a global setting that
> will override any individual list header?

Yes, via RUNMODE:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/sitevars.html#cRunmode

> I want to make sure that commands like RELEASE don't work, except for
> possibly postmasters.
>
> I want to make sure no other command releases information about the
> server, administrators, or configuration.
>
> Does L-Soft have a best practices document?

Certain information (like the LISTSERV version) can't easily be hidden.
That said, it looks like your server currently shares more information
than it needs to.  A short list:

* Change your postmaster addresses to be hidden.  You need one non-hidden
address, but you can hide the rest:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/sitevars.html#cPostmaster

* Hide error tracebacks to non-postmasters:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/sitevars.html#cHidetraceback

* Change your JOB_STAT_DEFAULT:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/sitevars.html#cJobstatdefault

* Hide your subscriber counts:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/sitevars.html#cWWWShowSubscriberCount

And of course, the obvious list configuration things: make sure your lists
are set to 'Validate=Yes,Confirm', 'Review=Owner'.

Ben wrote a paper on all this some years ago:

http://www.lsoft.com/news/techtipLSV-issue3-2009-us.asp

Hope this helps.

--
Liam Kelly