"Alan S. Dobkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 13:41:13 -0400
This may seem to be an odd question, but what is the best way to
slow down mail delivery from LISTSERV using LSMTP (on Windows NT)?

Here is my situation:

I am creating several large announce-only lists, one of which will
include everyone at our institution for emergency communications.
I am not too concerned about the load on our LISTSERV system (should
I be? :-) ), but since the vast majority of our e-mail users are on
one system, I am concerned about that system's load when it has to
receive and process thousands of messages at once into individual
mailboxes.  In the past, the administrators of that mail system would
send out emergency messages like this to all users by splitting them
up into 26 messages, one for each letter of the alphabet, and slowly
feeding them to the mail server as the queue was being processed.

Our LISTSERV system and LSMTP are running on the same Windows NT box,
while our campus e-mail server is a UNIX box running sendmail.  I have
looked at the MAXBSMTP setting, which is currently set to 1000 because
we're using LSMTP, but this seems like it would only affect the local
system performance, not the system that it's sending to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

| Alan S. Dobkin @ Emory U. ITD | 1784 N. Decatur Rd. | E-Mail Address: |
|   Operating Systems Analyst   | Suite 300 (3rd Fl.) |     ADobkin     |
|  Internet/Intranet Services   | Atlanta, GA 30322   |   @Emory.Edu    |
| http://ADobkin.ITD.Emory.Edu/ |  (404) 727-2766     | FAX #: 727-2599 |