Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Fri, 24 Nov 89 13:51:19 GMT
To answer Turgut's points:

>I  really mind  the dirty  talking,  'only 13  sites, and  two later  on
>declined'

Turgut, this wasn't  "dirty talking" but a simple statement  of fact. The
first compatibility problem  between 1.6 and 1.5o  appeared recently, and
someone suggested to solve it by  updating the LISTEARN servers. I wanted
to point out that this was not a good solution, because the problem would
disappear from only 11 sites. This  was a justification of my decision to
solve  the problem  by a  fix  in release  1.6d, which  would remove  the
compatibility problem  regardless of  whether or  not EARN  sites install
fixes from  you (such fixes  can be sent only  to sites which  signed the
LISTEARN contract).

>You must have  seen the recent changes, like the  path-bug and the BSMTP
>work..

To avoid  any possible  misunderstanding on the  part of  BITNET readers,
what  Turgut calls  the 'path-bug'  has  been fixed  (along with  another
infinite loop) as part of 1.6d; sites  which need the fix can get it from
me (about  5 of them are  running it now). I  hope to be able  to release
1.6d for beta  testing at the beginning  of next week. I  don't know what
Turgut's BSMTP support does as compared  to the one introduced in release
1.6a, and, generally speaking, Turgut  is much better informed about what
he does than me  :-) So, if you have any question  about that, please ask
Turgut, not me.

Now I'd like to answer a few of Alain's points:

- (This first point was raised by both  Alain and Turgut) I have indeed a
  number  of  beta-test sites,  but  I  lost  the  "best" ones  with  the
  departure  of  Jose-Maria (DEARN)  and  the  LISTEARN business  (CEARN,
  FINHUTC); there  are indeed  a couple  of 1.6  beta-test sites  left of
  EARN, but low-traffic  nodes like ESOC are unfortunately  not as useful
  as  high-traffic   ones  like  UGA   or  NDSUVM1.  Regardless   of  the
  cooperativeness, competence  and helpfulness of the  people involved in
  the  beta-test programme,  it is  always better  to test  software with
  people living in the  same time zone as you, and on the  same side of a
  link where a wrap test for a  1000 records file took over 10h yesterday
  (I will not  comment here on the  reasons why this link  is not working
  better -  refer to the  EARNTECH and EARN-NOG archives  if interested).
  Sometimes I have  to wait a full  day for a fix to  reach the beta-test
  site. This  is of course better  than not having any  beta-test site at
  all, but this is  far from being ideal conditions; if  EARN is not able
  to organize itself  to provide Turgut with beta-test sites,  there is a
  serious problem.

- Contrary to what Alain seemed to say,  I am moving very slowly with new
  versions, because I have very little  time to work on LISTSERV. In case
  you'd doubt it, compare the 'delta'  between the shipment of 2 releases
  now,  and in  the early  days of  1.5  (up to  1.5n or  so). I've  been
  desperately trying  to finish  that UDD documentation,  but I  can only
  spend  something  like  30 minutes  a  day  on  it,  and I  keep  being
  interrupted, sometimes I  have to stop for several days.  The result is
  that the quality is not very good, I keep having to update it to remove
  confusing statements, things  are repeated all over the  book, and I've
  only managed to write about half  of it. I should (hopefully) have more
  time for LISTSERV within 3 months or so.

- I fully  support the idea  of introducing formal releases  of LISTEARN;
  the  present situation  is quite  confusing -  some servers  have plain
  1.5o, some have  1.5o + some fixes  from Turgut, some have  1.5o + some
  local improvements,  some (I suppose?)  have Turgut's new  version with
  the BSMTP stuff, etc.

- Finally, I will not repeat my  comments on the NOG's statement that the
  directive to  sign the LISTEARN  contract is purely technical,  and not
  political. People  who are  bored enough  to want  to hear  that should
  refer to the NOG archives.

Eric