Lisa Baas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:11:50 -0700
I've looked all through the manuals but can't find any mention of
restricting the format to plain-text for commands. I use plain-text out of
habit but most of my users don't. And most of them haven't a clue how to
send a plain-text message because their email programs default to sending
both formats and they've never had any reason to change it.

If there is such a limitation, I can live with it and try to educate my
list owners. But I was glad to discover that LISTERV (at least in 1.8d)
allowed mixed format messages because one of the biggest problems I've had
with the program we're migrating from is exactly this issue. Lots of help
desk calls and email messages wanting to know why the list server is
rejecting commands.

In this case, the problem is worse because the sender never gets a
response. I can see our operations staff getting calls about LISTSERV
being down because it's not responding to commands.

lisa