Jim Gerland - Network User Support <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Oct 1993 11:22:02 EDT
On Thu, 7 Oct 1993 09:27:16 CDT THE GAR said:
>I have some users who are trying to get on lists which now require
>a confirmation to start the subscription.
>
>The two lists are HEPROC-L@AUVM
>           and        DIET@UBVM
>
>They get a mail message telling them to send "ok", and they receive
>a reply saying their confirmation code is invalid.  (This code being
>the one that is still in the subject header from an automatic RICEMAIL
>supplied subject in a replied message).  So they then follow the instructions
>again, only this time keying the "ok 037B96" code.  Here is the reply
>they get . . .
>Can someone give me some help here?

This was just discussed on this list last week.  Here is a 'canned' response
I send to folks who complain to me about this (another, much longer and
more helpful 'canned' response was posted to this list just yesterday):

Try this, I'm told this works almost all the time:

1) e-mail your 'sub' request to listserv
2) when you get the request to confirm:
   e-mail your 'ok' command to listserv
   *do not* use 'reply'