Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:09:32 -0500
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Paul Russell wrote:
> Francoise Becker wrote:
>
> > It's all semantics. It doesn't matter what anyone calls it. The

In general, I do think it matters very much "what a thing is called",
especially when the name uses words that convey a commonly shared meaning
because...

> I agree that we need to use terminology that everyone understands, and that
> "confirmed opt-in", as currently defined, is insufficient.

there is no "confirmation" in "confirmed opt-in" with Subscription= Open.

So, not only is it insufficient, it is terribly misleading and I think you
know that already. It isn't really a semantic argument at all yet, but I
can and do appreciate why your response would be couched in those terms.
Thanks for taking the time to explain to us where it came from.

--Trish

Trish Forrest, Queen's University