Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 17:40:31 +0200
On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 21:42:22 -0400 Russ <[log in to unmask]> said:

>LSTSRV-L got spammed. Listserv is supposed to prevent spam.

And it doesn't work 100% of the time.

>LSoft  need to  put a  filter in  response to  an IEMMC  X-Advertisement
>header item  such that  any message with  it automatically  generates an
>appropriate message to IEMMC to remove the address from their mailings.

Sure, we should go out of our way  to follow the rules IEMMC have set for
their spam service. After all, they are paying us for this, right?

>Alternatively,   it  needs   to  recognize   that  anything   with  that
>X-Advertisement header  IS SPAM, and  prevent it from going  anywhere on
>any LSoft list.

Maybe.

>Am I  missing something  here or  am I correct  in stating  that LSoft's
>anti-spam technique  has failed  to catch  a huge  SPAMming organization
>that is, at least, recognizable.

I'm not  really sure  what to  answer. You  seem to  say that  L-Soft has
failed to magically change all installed servers overnight to filter mail
coming from some  new spam joint or  other than has decided  to insert an
"X-Advertisement" header.  Well, that's correct.  I also think this  is a
tempest in  a teapot. They are  hardly the only spam  joint and something
tells me that "X-Advertisement" is not going to become a header. Tomorrow
we'll  have spam  joint  N+1 and  it  will be  "X-UCE"  or "UCE-Info"  or
whatever. What  are we supposed to  do, cut a new  LISTSERV version every
time there is a new spam joint? The existing spam filter will catch their
spam if it hits  many lists. If it only hits a couple  lists it will not.
This is how  the LISTSERV spam filter has always  worked. Spams that only
hit a  handful of  lists can  be handled  through other  existing methods
without too much hassle.

  Eric