Chad Adams <XCEA@ECNCDC>
Mon, 19 Jun 89 09:33:00 CDT
> It wouldn't be nice if the Listserv could detect those SUBSCRIBE and UNSUB
>that new users sends every now and then to a list instead of a listserv?
>
> Perhaps when the mail text is only one line long the Listserv may attempt
>to execute that command informing the user that the following commands
>must be sent to LISTSERV@address, if it is not a valid command then
>go on with the distribution.
>
> Every semester a new bunch of users goes into BitNet, I'm sure the
>majority of them want to learn the proper way to use the net.
>
>-Alejandro Kurczyn S.

While I do think mail with no lines or one line that is a valid
listserv command should not be sent to the list I do not think it
should be processed.  If it works people will use it.  Then when they
spell the command wrong or make some other error it will still go to
the list.  They will continue to do it the way they know works and have
used before, regardless or how wrong you tell them it is.  And every
new user they show how to use it will be taught to do it wrong also.
If you don't want them to send commands to the list then do not reward
them for doing so.  Just send them back a mail telling them the
correct, and only, way to do it.

Chad Adams
     ______      ECN - Educational Computing Network
     \   **`
     /    *º     Computing and Network Services for Board of Governors
    / *    º     of State Colleges and Universities of the State of Illinois
    º      º     Networking in Illinois since 1975.  [The first in the state]
     \     º       /  ) /         /     Chad Adams, Systems Programmer
      \*   º      /    /_  __, __/      BITNET:     XCEA@ECNCDC
      /    /     (__/ / /_/_/_(_/_      Phone:      1-618-692-3532
      \   /
       `--       "Wherever you go, there we are."