Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:39:57 -0400
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:42:51 EDT, you said:
> Our local solution for this sort of problem is to assign the student an
> anonymous userid such as [log in to unmask]  The issue here is concealing
> the identity of students who are a security risk (children of foreign
> diplomats, etc), and the professor can't do much with the address 'anon046'
> to discover who it really is (although as pointed out, the professor
> DOES have a class roster....)

   Saw your mail, talked to the system manager, and this is the way we
will go. I don't know why I didn't think of it before instead of focusing
on a Listserv solution.  It will also solve the problem of the student
contributing to class discussions and having their real name being viewed.
The instructors can still own their lists, as they do now, and we will
still probably set these students to CONCEAL.

 Yes, they get a paper roster from the registrar's office, but it is
the output from a REVIEW that is more likely to be printed, distributed
or posted, in spite of warnings not to do so.

Thanks, everyone so much for all your input!

--Trish