Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:01:27 EDT
On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:52:04 -0500 John R. Andrews said:
>I was probably ambiguous in my first explanation. We do have a A record but
>it isn't for listserv.uic.edu. It is for machine1.uic.edu. Mail to both
>listserv and all the lists work fine, and any replies have a From: address
>of [log in to unmask] Adding a CNAME record causes the From: field
>to be changed to the existing A record name of machine1.uic.edu.

Which is why I said you need to add an A record for listserv.uic.edu (I
was a bit ambiguous in my reply as well).  DNS purists will probably faint
in horror but there is nothing in the RFCs that specifically prohibits
having two A records for the same machine, and it will solve your problem
(assuming that it isn't your own sendmail that's rewriting the From: line
before the mail even leaves the machine, in which case you'll need to
modify sendmail's configuration instead).

Nathan