Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 17 May 1987 00:42 SET
  I have written a LISTSERV-Punch conversion  program in C, in addition to the
one I had written  in (Turbo-) PASCAL. This one was entered  and tested on the
mainframe and will not  involve the keying problems I had  with the PASCAL one
(curse the  Laserjet again  for printing  'l' and '1'  exactly the  same way).
However, I'd be curious to see if it  can really work 'as is' on a UNIX system
as K&R  tend to  suggest in their  "super-transportability" blurb...  :-) Note
that even if it does, it doesn't mean I'm  going to use C in the future for my
networking softwares. Its standard library's I/O functions may be easy to port
from one system  to the other, but you  should see how poor they  are under VM
(there are extensions  of course but these are not  transportable at all)... I
wrote a trivial  program to copy a  file into another one  using getchar() and
putchar(), and  it is 8  times slower  than good'ole CPU-hungry  COPYFILE, and
consequently 80  times slower  than a fast  copier (5.73 secs  C vs  0.07 secs
FCOPY -- 3000 lines file). If you  use the lower level routines, the code runs
faster but is not transportable any more.

  Anyway, the program  is available from LISTSERV@FRECP11 as LPUN  C (--> SEND
LISTSERV@FRECP11 GET LPUN  C). I'd be interested in the  result of your tests,
especially if your system doesn't support Netdata nor DISK DUMP files (in that
case please  append a F=PUNCH to  the command to  get the file in  raw (PUNCH)
format). You can get a sample input  file by sending an "INFO REFCARD F=LP" to
the nearest LISTSERV.

Good luck, Eric