Paul Wayper <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:37:00 +1000
> Don't try to send attachments on a listserv.  Too many people cannot open
> them, especially if they don't have a mime reader.  Just embed your message
> in email for listservs.

I'm sorry, but that's just not the case.  We have several lists where the
members all use sufficiently capable clients (mostly lists of staff members,
where we _know_ what software they're using) to accept MIME attachments.
LISTSERV can cope with MIME attachments, and will even do nice things with
bottom banners to insert them neatly in a MIME message.

However, the basic point here is that you should make sure that all the
other links between you and your LISTSERV machine are MIME compliant -
there are lots of gateways between propriety mail exchange machines (MS
Mail was one) which did terrible things to attachments both inbound and
outbound.  Make sure that you can send attachments out through your
firewall and have them received OK.

I can't think of any other options off the top of my head - Language=
Exchange is useful if you're running Exchange so that you keep the
formatting of messages, but if you're environments not homogeneous
Exchange don't bother.  MIME should work on lists, thanks to the LSoft
people sticking to the standards.

Any other comment from LSoft?

Paul

P.S.  The attachments for and against argument is dead, people.  Don't
try to resurrect it.  For some people, it's appropriate, for most people
you shouldn't assume they can or want to receive attachments.  State the
policy beforehand.  That seems to be the concensus.  Just keep your
opinions to yourself on this one, for once.