Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:49:20 -0400
On 4/12/2007 22:10, Bill Verity wrote:
> At 9:49 PM -0400 4/12/07, Paul Russell wrote:
>> On 4/12/2007 15:41, Bill Verity wrote:
>>> Is it possible to manage subscribers through an exit?  We'd like to update
 > the list on-the-fly with an LDAP query.
>> You use the TCPGUI interface. See the Developer's Guide for details.
>
> Thanks Paul, hoped you would answer since I know you do a lot of this.  But
 > I want to build the list at the moment the mail is sent.  What exit would I
 > take?  I don't see one for this time period.

What do you mean by "build the list"? Do you mean "issue the LISTSERV PUT
command to create a new list header file, then populate the list", or do
you mean "add subscribers to an existing list"?

Hypothetically, you can use the TCPGUI interface to issue any command you
can issue via email, including PUT. Someone may have done this, but it was
not us.

We have an application which issues an SQL query against our student database
to get a list of email addresses of all students currently (as of this very
moment) enrolled in a given course, then connects to the TCPGUI interface
and issues ADD commands to ensure that each enrolled student is subscribed
to the pre-existing corresponding course-related list. If the list does not
exist, the ADD commands result in error messages. The application does not
create new lists or remove students who have dropped the course; creation of
new lists and removal of students from existing lists are done during a batch
update process which runs overnight.

The real-time update is initiated when a faculty member chooses the 'send a
message to the class' function in the online portion of our student
information system. Invocation of this function causes to user's default
email application to be launched with the list address in the 'To:' line,
and initiates the real-time update process. This was implemented at the
request of the Registrar, who wanted to be sure that every student enrolled
in the class, including those who enrolled since the batch update ran
overnight, would be subscribed to the list when the faculty member's message
was received by the server for distribution to the list.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team