Peter Sylvester +49 228 303245 <GRZ027@DBNGMD21>
Fri, 05 Dec 86 13:40 CET
NETSERV and NAD: Changing the NAD in USA is done by BITNIC
via updates to the data base. This takes time. Well, EARN can't
change that. *BUT*: you can use the NAD userid (some system guy
should be able to do that) and create other PRIVILEDGED USERIDs
in NETSERV. PRV people can do almost the same as NADs.
In USA it seems that there is no difference because the
node administration functions are not used at all.

Maybe that helps.

A NETSERV NETWORK:

Currently NETSERV uses the :country.tag in the data base to determine
which NETSERV is responsible for that node.
I'll talk to Bert Pasch (he is still "offline" because of that
bomb that destroyed some parts of the DHDIBM1 computer.)

There are in general two ways to create a NETSERV network in USA:
(I'm talking about the FILELIST stuff only right now):

You can either create CACHE servers that cache all files: This
is possible because the server can AFD NETSERV FILELIST and
you get enuf information about changes.
This is ok for some node that want to make *ALL* NETSERV files
available on a local disk.
You can implement an AFD on this cache server but...

The correct way is to set up a "peer" or "shadow" list of NETSERVs.
This requires some work in NETSERV: AFD/FUI/GET request
should be propagated to the correct netserv or only accepted
by the regional netserv.

As long as this is not done: Define yourself as a PRV person
and use NETSERV at BITNIC.

Peter