Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 May 2000 12:42:13 +0200
We are trying to find a solution to this BSDi 3.x problem which works for
both parties (going back to 2.x on our development machine does not work
for us). In the LISTSERV/beta-1.8d directory of our FTP server, you will
find a precompiled executable called lsv-BSDi-static. I have been advised
that the linker flags used ought to result in an executable that runs fine on
3.x (possibly even 2.x) and also on FreeBSD. If this works, we will change
the precompiled executable in the standard kit.

People have asked why we do not provide kits for FreeBSD and NetBSD
given that it would not cost us anything to install these systems on an existing
machine. Operating system software licenses are a drop in the bucket
when it comes to development and support costs. What is expensive is
the manpower to maintain and update the development system, produce
kits and fixes for one more system, etc. Currently, the most expensive
system for us to support is Linux, even though we did not have to pay for
the license. It is the system with the largest number of known version
compatibility problems and the only system for which we have to have
two development machines running different versions of the system (and
someone recently wondered whether I would authorize a third machine).
One is kept back-level and the other has patches applied. The third
machine would be used to test bleeding-edge patches without jeopardizing
the second machine. This is all very annoying, but there are enough Linux
clients to justify the expense. Unfortunately this is not the case for either
FreeBSD or NetBSD, and the BSDi builds have so far appeared to work
well (when produced on 2.x).

  Eric