Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:51:13 +0200
> >This suggests that you have MAILER = 'LISTTEST@MSACVM' in LOCAL SYSVARS,
> which
> >is incorrect if this is the LISTSERV userid.
>
> From LOCAL SYSVARS: mailer = 'SMTP@msacvm'

Hmm, ok, but the message you quoted only happens if the origin is exactly the same as the MAILER configuration variable (ignoring case). There are other, similar messages that happen in other cases, but this particular one is very narrow in scope.

I would start with 'TELL LISTTEST CMS GLOBALV SELECT LISTSERV LIST MAILER', then you'll find out what the final value was after evaluating all the SYSVARS files. I would also try to quickly HX and look at the respooled file. Yeah, I know. Sometimes I long for the 4341 on which I wrote the first version of LISTSERV, typing HX quickly enough was no problem at all, even late at night ;-)

> Wouldn't everything fail if the mailer was incorrect?

Most inbound things would work. Outbound would fail for sure.

> Given that the above messages came from a test machine, LISTTEST, cloned
> from my production machine, LISTSERV, are there any references to the
> userid that I should have changed?

No, but if this is a test server you will want to be sure to have a different MAILER, ideally one you can stop and start as you please. This way you can monitor what the mailer receives, take a look at it, and process it if it looks ok. You cannot do any serious troubleshooting if you are pointing at the production mailer. Personally, I have both a second, test mailer that I use in really complex cases, and a regular CMS userid that I normally configure as MAILER. If I want to process a message, I just TRANSFER it to the production mailer. Mostly I view and discard outbound mail from the test LISTSERV, so this works best for me.

  Eric