Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:35:29 -0400
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking to upgrade to Classic here in the near future and need
>some help/advice.
>
>I am primarily upgrading to have the search capabilities enabled.
>However the ideal thing would be to only enable it on an individual
>subscriber basis (much like review, nopost, and renew).  I see no way
>to do this, so I'm leaning towards creating a sub list of every list
>and putting those subscribers that I want to be able to search the
>archives on that list (nomail, nopost subscriptions closed) and then
>giving them instructions on how to access the information from the
>web.  On the other hand, I REALLY don't want to disable the archives
>for the main lists, I just want to keep certain subscribers from
>searching those archives. Question:  Can I use a list exit for this
>purpose?  I can alter the list template from the web effectively
>disabling it for most subscribers.
>
>I hope someone here has an answer for me.

You could have a seperate mailing list of "allowed" users and then set

        Notebook= Yes,[...],ALLOWEDUSERS

where ALLOWEDUSERS is the name of the mailing list with the allowed
users on it.

It wouldn't be necessary to tell anyone about the existance of the
ALLOWEDUSERS mailing list; I'd probably set it up with:

        Confidential= Yes
        Send= Owners,Confirm
        Subscription= Closed
        Validate= All,Confirm