Lucas van Braam van Vloten <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 16:15:02 +0200
Hi,

A few notes that may come in handy in a migration:

On my Listserv implementation on Linux there is also a
"<listname>.private" file (in addition to the files mentioned below)
which is, according to its content, a "private list marker". That sounds
fairly important.
This file does not seem to be created automatically after migration.
When you click the "save" button in the list configuration screen in the
web interface everything is fine.

If you migrate a list from Windows to Linux you will convert the .list
file to text format (as described in the manuals). However, before you
import it in the Linux implementation take note of the following:
- Filenames will need to be changed from uppercase (Windows) to lowercase
- You will need to convert the character encoding of this file. If you
also move archives, hey also need to be converted. This can be done
easily by using the dos2unix utility, available in most Linux
distributions. Use the --force option.
- If any paths change (and if you move from Windows to Linux they do)
then you also need to modify the "notebook" setting in the .list file. I
found this can best be done before you import the list.
- Don't forget to set the proper ownership of the files you import
(normally listserv.listserv)

I wrote a bash script for migrating a large number of files. I will
publish it on this list if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Lucas