Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jul 2016 22:57:15 -0400
Well, 3 decades of involvement with Listserv is fast drawing to a close. The
peers.names file says that I got involved back at Clarkson with license number
9, and I've been doing the technical end of Listserv at my current employer
since May 1989.

Alas, the Google hegemony made us a better offer, so we're moving to Google
Groups, and we're fast winding down our last pieces of Listserv support.  We
had some 12,000+ lists at the start of the migration, we're down to the last
512, and those will go away next Friday (barring unforeseen last minute snags).

And the biggest foreseen last minute snag (sorry, for the late notice, but
I'm *also* in the middle of 2 different storage deployments, both in the
3-5 petabyte range):

Yesterday, [log in to unmask] handled 584 DIST-NJE jobs, including 572
X-SUPD that were promptly dropped on the floor because we're not a backbone
server.  We also had another 231 DIST2 jobs that burst out to anywhere from 2
to 30 @VT.EDU addresses. Meanwhile, we only had 67 actual posts to local lists.

So what still needs to be done to clean up the DIST2 mess so we minimize the
disruption to local subscribers? (I know the specific Listserv sites that are
involved, if that helps....)