Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 05:23:05 +0100
On    Thu,    23    Feb     1995    22:06:10    -0500    Trish    Forrest
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>  Before we can officially make such an offer I have to check two things
>out. First,  if charging would  violate our Internet  provider's policy.
>Since  the fee  would not  result in  a profit  and since  we are  not a
>commercial site, I don't think it will.

Actually, if I were an Internet  service provider I would be very worried
about customers reselling services on a NON-PROFIT basis :-)

>Second,  I guess  I need  Eric  to tell  me that  this wouldn't  violate
>LSOFT's agreement  with us. I  think we can  charge locally, but  I just
>want  to   make  sure  that  we   can  offer  the  same   fee  to  other
>Bitnet/Internet sites to cover costs with no profit..

I don't think  it would violate your agreement, which  was drafted on the
assumption that you were not a  service provider and, being a university,
had  no intention  of becoming  one (we  have a  different agreement  for
service providers). We define a service provider as someone selling lists
to the general public. If anyone (or possibly anyone in a certain country
or geographical area)  can call you and  get a list about  any topic they
care to name (with the possible  exclusion of obscenity and the like), we
would consider  you a service  provider. If  you restrict the  service to
members of  a particular association,  profession, etc, or if  you review
the topic  before agreeing to  provide the service, we  wouldn't consider
you a service provider. Hardware and software cost money and it is normal
for computing centres  to charge back somehow. We have  a different price
schedule for service providers, though.

>We, like  some other sites  purchase Listserv from LSOFT...now  if LSOFT
>was willing  to make an  agreement of, for  example, using us  and other
>sites willing  to participate,  as their servers  for hosting  lists and
>compensating us for disksp
>+ maint fees...we could take on the homeless.

Well, we're already having a  hard time explaining to corporate customers
that we can't  guarantee a certain degree of availability  of the service
because we have  no control whatsoever over the Internet  and the best we
could do  is make an  arrangement with  our service provider  which would
only cover our link  to their main office and possibly  their link to the
backbone, and  anything beyond that  is totally out of  anyone's control.
It's much simpler and more convenient for everyone if we run the machines
ourselves. There isn't really any advantage for us or for the customer to
have to involve a third party in the operational chain.

>This way, LSOFT would  make any profit and no would  have to worry about
>making a profit that might violate their Internet Provider's Policy. :-)

Being an evil for-profit corporation, we don't get the academic discounts
that come with these restrictions :-)  In fact I suspect that *you* would
be in  trouble if you helped  us implement a for-profit  service, because
you are (I assume) a tax free organization.

>This would eliminate any pressure on  LSOFT to purchase any machines for
>providing listserv services....

But we've already  bought them! And besides,  the bulk of the  cost is in
manpower. We recently bought a brand  X workstation that has already cost
as much in manpower for  installation and various troubleshooting and bug
reporting as we  paid for it. And  for the PCs, it's  something we simply
take  for granted.  So far  the PC  servers have  cost about  twice their
purchase price in manpower, and yes I mean both the NT and unix ones. The
NT  PCs required  a  lot of  work  to set  up right  because  of all  the
brain-damaged WfW considerations and the fact that the people who use WfW
think the NT PCs are normal PCs  like their own and can/should be treated
as such. The unix  PCs while shielded from this do  think up new problems
every day with an amazing level of creativity.

  Eric