Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:10:57 -0400
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, William Grassie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating L-soft for a customer who already has a list on
> another licensed version, but wants to migrate it onto a new server
> with his own license. Does anyone know how would we get the data off
> of their server onto ours.  In one scenario, we would use Listserv on
> a new machine, but want to make the archives available to the search
> engines through some kind of parallel database.  In the other
> scenario, we would decide not to use LSoft and just export the
> archives as a CSV or some other interoperable format.  Thanks for
> your help.

Migrating files between Listservs is easy Billy. You just take the .log
files and the .list file and move them to the appropriate Listserv. You
then need to stop and restart the Listserv so it recognizes thenew list
and build's the list's archive for web access. You might also need to
modify the list's "Notebook" keyword to reflect the new location of the
archived mesages.

Migrating a list to another type of list managerment package is an
entirely different matter and it depends on the new package. Suffice it to
say that you'll probably need to do some conversion of both the .log files
and the .list for for your list in order to format them in the way the new
list management software requires.