Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 May 2008 07:22:49 -0400
Has anyone used the SMTP_RATE_LIMIT feature introduced in 15?  I just
turned it on today for one delivery pool.  I suspect to keep an eye
on the server and tweak the actual rate until we get the desired
slowdown.  Everyone's rate will be different, but I'm curious about
the overall results and satisfaction.

The feature is described in the LISTSERV15.0-Release-Notes.pdf.

"It is now possible to "rate-limit" LISTSERV's output to its
SMTP_FORWARD host(s) by defining limits for individual delivery pools
(or server-wide if you do not choose to implement separate delivery
pools). This is done by setting the site configuration variable
SMTP_RATE_LIMIT appropriately. For example, the following setting
rate-limits the entire server to 12Mbps of throughput to the outbound
forwarding host.

VMS: SMTP_RATE_LIMIT "12Mbps"
  unix: SMTP_RATE_LIMIT="12Mbps"
  export SMTP_RATE_LIMIT
  Win:SMTP_RATE_LIMIT=12Mbps

Using the feature with delivery pools allows the server administrator
to limit the impact that large lists or large DISTRIBUTE jobs have on
total throughput from LISTSERV to its outbound MTA(s), reserving
sufficient bandwidth so that administrative mail and smaller lists
can get through at the same time"
--
Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)