Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:40:52 -0500
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:45:47 -0600, Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This usally happens nearly instantly, especially with little teeny test
>jobs where I'm the only recipient. But over the past few days, it can
>take upwards of a few hours for this to happen. LSMTP doesn't seem to
>yet have the mail.

What does the LISTSERV log say? (x:\LISTSERV\LOG\LISTSERV-yyymmdd.LOG file)

You know you sent the message at 13:35 (for example)
The LISTSERV shows the job was processed at 13:36...
then mail was delayed leaving LISTSERV so,
-look at *.MAIL files in x:\LISTSERV\SPOOL (or possibly x:\LISTSERV\OUT)
-check the log file x:\LISTSERV\LOG\SMTPS#1-yyymmdd.LOG for problems sending
mail to LSMTP
-if necessary, turn on Site-Specific logging in LSMTP for the mail incoming
from LISTSERV

Or even after 14:40 LISTSERV still has no record of receiving the job...
obviously the mail never got to LISTSERV so there is no way is it could
process the job, so the mail is delayed somewhere getting to LISTSERV so,
-Check the x:\LISTSERV\LOG\SMTP-yyymmdd.LOG for inbound connections to
LISTSERV
-check sending mail server or elsewhere in the path  from origination to
LISTSERV for problems/hangups, etc.

There is always a reason why mail is abnormally delayed.  The reason is
usually found in a log file somewhere.