Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:25:28 -0400
>Just helped a professor with a very weird problem that I've never
>run into before.  He has an automated script to update the one or
>two lists he manages which sends all the commands via email with
>password authentication.  At some point, his password stopped
>working for the commands sent by the script.  However, the password
>was still working just fine for logging into the website.  After
>spending some time working with him trying to figure out what was
>happening, I had him change his password, and the script has begun
>to run again just fine once it was updated.
>
>Has anyone else run into a case where the password worked just fine
>via the web interface but any email attempts kept getting rejected?
>We tried several clients just in case it was a glitch with one, and
>I was even attempting via a direct smtp command line, but the
>password just kept refusing to work.  The password was He3ietho ,
>and I can't think of any reason why it would fail for email.
>
>Listserv 15.5 with password encryption turned on, linux system.

I believe he may have run into case sensitivity problems.  For most
of its history, LISTSERV's passwords have not been case sensitive.
However, when the LDAP integration feature was introduced, that was
no longer an option, and so passwords were made case sensitive.

Internally, LISTSERV translated existing passwords into ALL CAPS.
The version of wa.exe then in use also converted passwords to all
caps, so users logging in via the web interface did not notice any
difference, generally.  However, passwords sent via email, LCMD, or
TCPGUI were not translated to all caps.

(Later versions of wa.exe no longer did the conversion to all caps.)

So the professor could either reset the password using a PW REP
command so that it is in the case the script is sending, or he could
modify the script to send the password in all caps.  (In the former
case he would no longer be able to log into the web interface until a
later LISTSERV version was installed.)
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support, L-Soft international, Inc
   LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.

Need training?  Check out our full range of training
services at <http://www.lsoft.com/products/training.asp>