Rich Wiggins <RWWMAINT@MSU>
Wed, 6 Dec 89 10:45:14 EST
......  However, it is only a matter of time.  While far from perfect, I
>would like to propose a method for slowing its distribution.  I would
>propose a new postmaster command BLOCK.  The syntax would be:
>
>  BLOCK FN=filename filetype
>
>This filename filetype would be recorded, and any files to be
>distributed would be checked against this list.  If found,
>the file should be held and a note sent to the postmaster.

At Share 73.5 I learned that as a part of security certification IBM is
working on ways to trap offending files distributed by RSCS.  There are
mods to RSCS 2.3 available on an as-is, no-support basis that allow trapping
of a particular incoming file.  As I recall, you can have it rejected outright
or forwarded to a service machine of your own for further inspection.

I like Harry's idea for Listserv, but since that's only one path into our
hosts,  it seems that RSCS should address this as part of the standard
product.  Ideally, it would allow you to filter by class of file, with
wildcarded names, etc.

Of course, our Listserv vendor is probably more likely to respond to
this anytime soon, but I'm planning on submitting a PASR on RSCS.

Rich Wiggins
Computer Lab
Michigan State U